The Show Must Go On (Must it?)



I understand the concept behind "the show must go on," people have taken time out of their busy schedules to see you and paid good money at the door, it is your job as an entertainer to do everything you can to see that you're holding up your end of the bargain and put on the best show you can.

And then there's today.

The first winter storm of the season is rolling across Minnesota today. Two days ago the weather service said that the worst of it would be north and west of St. Cloud or the Twin Cities, yesterday it was updated to include St. Cloud. We're talking 6-10 inches of snow, wind chills of 20 to 30 below zero, and the National Weather Service suggesting that you travel only in the case of an emergency.

'Tis the season, and people want to hear their cheesy Xmas songs and so I have to endanger my life driving to Minneapolis today so that they can hear me sing "Dig That Crazy Santa Claus." Then I have to drive back because I can't skip work tomorrow, I'm behind enough as it is.

The idea of spinning out on the highway, winding up in a ditch or worse is not appealing in the least. I've done 360s on I-94 before and it is NOT fun. I don't like driving in heavy snow, drifts scare the hell out of me... and then there are the 4-wheel drive vehicle owners who think they are bulletproof and drive like fucking maniacs endangering everyone else on the road because they don't think they have to slow down for conditions.

I don't want to go to Minneapolis, I don't want to have to spend all day there watching the roads get worse and worse and I absolutely fucking dread the commute. So today I find myself thinking that "The Show Must Go On" is just one big pile of bullshit!




Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Johnson Concert

RIP Seth Parent

Bitter Truth