RIP Chris Mitchell



I received news tonight that Chris Mitchell died on Friday the 11th of April. He was one of the people who first interviewed me for my job at KVSC, waaaay back in 1983. In recent years he had formed his own marketing business and employed a friend of my roommate's. He left behind four children and one grand daughter.

Back in the mid-80's, there was a power struggle at KVSC between the folks that wanted it to become a Top 40 station and those of us who wanted it to be an alternative source of music and news. Chris was in the middle. Ultimately, he sided with the alternative camp and was therefore indirectly responsible for what KV is today.

Chris was 44 years old. I just turned 44 a couple of weeks ago. Man, if that doesn't put the frailty and temporary nature of life into sharp focus... it is really a sobering thought and it makes me think of the people I would leave behind if it had been me in that accident instead of him.

George, Richard, Scott and Ann who have been at the very heart of my musical adventures for the past umpteen years, and who share my love of creativity. Jeff, who is my counterpart, business partner, friend and confidant. Nathan and Cari, who take care of me and love me. Ken, Gretchen, Erin & Lauren, my newest family, who consistently amaze me with their immense talent, creativity and warmth. My nephews, Robb, Mike and Tyler who are such a source of comfort and wonder. My brothers Mark & Brian, and my sister Kathy who are such a wonderful source of encouragement, support and love. Jewel, my dearest friend for almost 25 years...

And Kate, my dearest, who I love more than anything.

The bond I feel for each of them is very special and very important to me.

I am deeply saddened at the death of Chris. Even though I hadn't spoken to him in years, I respected who he had become and his obvious love of what he did and, more importantly, the people in his life.

RIP, Chris. You will be missed.

Comments

Jen said…
I'm sorry about the loss of your friend, Muggsy. *hug*
Cari said…
I'll always take care of you Muggsy. To quote Greg Brown, "as long as I'm livin' you got a real good friend."

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Johnson Concert

RIP Seth Parent

Bitter Truth